Whether you are having a house built and you’re choosing your first air conditioner or you’re replacing your old one, you have a lot of things to consider when it comes to the type of air conditioner that you want. Selecting an air conditioner is going to be a big decision and you should take some time to figure out which one is best for you. Below are some tips that you can use to find the right air conditioner for you.
1. Think About the Type You Need
A lot of people think about two types of air conditioners when they think of air conditioners, window and central. But there are actually three types that you can choose from.
- Window – These are the ones that are the most affordable since they usually only cost a few hundred dollars. However, they don’t tend to be very efficient and they will cool off the room that they are in or two rooms, if the rooms are small. The disadvantage of this type is that you normally need more than one to cool your home.
- Central – This type is the one that is most common. It has an outdoor condenser, an air handler inside with evaporator coils, a blower, and ductwork that goes through your home. The air handler can go into a garage, basement, or attic. If you have ductwork that was installed poorly or don’t have ductwork at all, you may have to install or fix your ductwork.
- Ductless – This is an alternative when you’re upgrading from the window air conditioners or you don’t want to put in ductwork. This type of air conditioner will cool one room or zone using a unit that has been installed on one of the walls and an outside unit. Based on the kind that you purchase, you may be able to control more than one indoor unit with just one outside unit.
2. Check How Efficient It is
Whether you are replacing your old air conditioner or you are buying one for the first time, you are going to find that they are a lot more efficient than years ago. When you’re replacing your central air, be sure that you’re replacing your air handler and condenser at the same time. These were made to work with one another. If you’re changing just one without changing the other, you may have an inefficient system.
The SEER is an important factor when you determine the way that the unit is going to use its energy. The newer models will need to have a SEER of at least 14 but a lot of them have one that is 15 or more.
3. Size Matters
The majority of people think that when they have a bigger air conditioner, it’s going to cool off their home better. But it’s not as simple as this. When you have a system that is too big, it’s going turn off and on a lot more and increase the amount of your energy bill. It also won’t be running long enough so that it’s reducing humidity.
Your unit’s size shouldn’t just be based on your home’s square footage. You should also factor in your home’s cooling load. In order to figure this out, look at your home’s size, how much insulation it has, and your windows sizes.
The size of your new unit shouldn’t be based just on the square footage of your home. The cooling load of your home should also be factored in. This can be figured out by looking at the size of your home, the amount of insulation in it, and the size of your windows.
4. Consider the Price
If you’re working with a budget that is flexible, you want to think about a few things regarding the price. Yes, it’s going to be pricey up front, but you also are going to be saving money during the summer and have a lower energy bill. You are also going to be adding to your house. Whether you update your ductwork or you add it, if you ever decide to sell your home this is going to be a big advantage and make it look a lot more attractive to buyers.
5. Choose a Good Company
You always want to get more than one bid when you’re buying a new AC unit. The unit’s cost and the installation is going to be a big investment, so you want to shop around. When you’re looking at bids, there are a few things that you should consider along with cost. Ask yourself the following questions so that you can choose the best company.
- Are they offering brands known for their quality?
- What type of warranty do they offer for labor and the unit?
- Is there a maintenance plan that is high quality?
- Do they have explanations why they give the best recommendations?
- Did they thoroughly look over the house before they gave you their estimate?
These are the things that you should consider when you are choosing your new air conditioner. You want to know that you are getting the best choice for your home and your family and you want to know that you have a company that you can trust.